Vegetables and fruits
- How many fruits and vegetables per day?
It is advised to eat about 250 grams of vegetables daily. When you eat enough vegetables, you reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and the risk of, for example, diabetes.
- Each type of fruit and vegetable has its own unique nutritional value and qualities.
Get creative with eating vegetables, because there is no specific vegetable that will give you all the nutrients you need. If you find that you are having trouble getting the recommended amount of vegetables per day, spread it out throughout the day. Consider, for example, a salad for lunch, and add some fruit to it or make yourself a healthy fruit treat.
There is sometimes confusion between vegetables and fruits, fruit gives you different nutrients than vegetables. You cannot therefore replace or compensate them for each other. An example of this is replacing the banana for the beans.
- Dried fruit
In general, dried fruit contains more fruit sugar than a fresh piece of fruit, but dried fruit also contains many vitamins, minerals and fibers. It therefore falls under the healthy snack.
- Low carb
When you follow a low-carbohydrate diet, it is often recommended not to eat too much fruit, because certain fruits contain a lot of carbohydrates. But because fruit also contains many important dietary fibers and minerals, you often do not have to avoid it completely. choose 1 piece of fruit per day when you follow a low-carbohydrate diet.
Red fruits are among the healthiest fruits with generally the fewest carbohydrates, choose 1 piece of fruit per day when you follow a low-carbohydrate diet.
- Environmentally friendly fruits & vegetables
If you have a preference for environmentally friendly vegetables, you can take the following into account:
- Choose seasonal vegetables and fruit, this reduces the chance that the vegetables or fruit come from a distant country or have been grown in a heated greenhouse
- Avoid products that have to be flown by plane, overseas products often contain a lot of packaging materials for longer protection.